Radical thinking about the Future of Summer Camp
Now THAT's what I'm talking about!
THIS is the moment that CampHacker was created for. We had the best discussion today. Joe had the awesome idea to talk about what it would be like to start a camp from scratch. If you weren't burdened by tradition (and a property) what would you do differently?
THAT lead us in to how would you radically change summer camp. If our mission is to provide a transformative experience for children and teens (and staff) are we reaching as many people as possible with our programs being so remote?
Outward Bound Canada has done something HUGE. They sold off their remote sites so that they could build in downtown Toronto - now they serve tons more people. They still do remote trips but they are much more accessible for day programs.
Dan was kind enough to share the nine points that Frost Valley uses when they consider a new program:
(He explains them in the show!).
What would you do to start summer camp from scratch? Leave us a comment below!
Tool of the Week – Make Yourself a Better Camp Director
- Travis - Royalty Free music for your video - see my list below
- Gab - Check out when’s the best time to tweet Tweriod
- Paul - Camp Moves Me - Send more kids to Camp!
- Dan - Slate’s Mom & Dad Are Fighting Podcast
- Joe - Pocket - app for web based, and Apple and Android
Sources of Legal Music to Use in Camp Videos
Royalty Free Music sites (pay for it once and use it as needed)
- Audio Bumpers/Stings/Logos
- search for "music genre" + sting or bumper or logo