Getting to know your 2012 camp staff
If you ever wanted a window in to the life of your summer camp staff... I found it. It's not perfect. A little more leaded-glass than 3 pane, argon-filled vinyl casement window, but still a good window.
I will admit that even though I am an internet obsessed, social media consultant I still don't know enough about the people who are working at camp this summer. Now that our kids are grown men with jobs, I bet even they would find some of the things on this surprising.
The Beloit College Mindset List
Every August since 1998 Beloit College has released their Mindset List to help their staff and educators get to know the young people who will be attending the college. Lucky for us. Those same young people work at our camps.
Highlights for the class of 2011
- What Berlin wall?
- Humvees, minus the artillery, have always been available to the public.
- They never “rolled down” a car window.
- They have grown up with bottled water.
- General Motors has always been working on an electric car.
- Nelson Mandela has always been free and a force in South Africa.
- Pete Rose has never played baseball.
- Rap music has always been mainstream.
- “Off the hook” has never had anything to do with a telephone.
- Women have always been police chiefs in major cities.
- They were born the year Harvard Law Review Editor Barack Obama announced he might run for office some day.
- Half of them may have been members of the Baby-sitters Club.
- No one has ever been able to sit down comfortably to a meal of “liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.”
- Wal-Mart has always been a larger retailer than Sears and has always employed more workers than GM.
- They were too young to understand Judas Priest’s subliminal messages.
- Multigrain chips have always provided healthful junk food.
- They grew up in Wayne’s World.
- U2 has always been more than a spy plane.
Check out the list for the class of 2015.